Early Management of Trauma
of interest in and around Vellore
Vellore Fort is
situated in the centre of Vellore town opposite to Old Bus stand.
Built around 1566 by Chinna Bommi Nayak, a subordinate
Chieftain under Sadasiva Raya of the Vijayanagara Empire. The
Vijayanagara kings called it "Raya Vellore" to
differentiate it from "Uppu Vellore" in the Godavari
region. The Fort's
ownership passed from Vijayanagara Kings, to the Bijapur Sultans, to
Marathas, to the Carnatic Nawabs and finally to the British, who
held the fort until India gained independence. During British rule,
the Tippu Sultan's family and the last king of Sri Lanka, Sri
Vikrama Rajasinha were held in as royal prisoners in the fort. The
first rebellion against British rule – the Sepoy Mutiny, which
erupted at this fort in 1806, is viewed as a fore-runner for Indian
fort, constructed in granite, is considered to be among the best of
military architecture in Southern India and is known for its grand
ramparts, wide moat and robust masonry. It houses a Christian
church, a Muslim mosque and a Hindu temple, the latter of which is
famous for its magnificent carvings.
is maintained by the Department of Museums - Government of Tamil
Nadu and is located within the fort. Its treasures include
historical monuments of the erstwhile composite North Arcot. It
includes stone sculptures from the late Pallava to Vijayanagar
periods and coins of the above period. This museum is kept open on
all days between 9.00 a.m. and 12.30 p.m. and 2.00 p.m and 5.00 p.m.
except on holidays.
Amirthi Forest Sanctuary is
situated 25 km away, about an hour’s drive from the city of
Vellore. The travel is scenic with open spaces, paddy fields and
small hamlets along the way. The Sanctuary has a Guest House, a
Meditation Centre, a forest tree nursery and a mini zoo. One could
trek to the Amirthi Falls, about 1.5 Kms away, on a path laid with
red sand and slabs of stones. Although the Falls are out of bounds for swimming, the forest
views are fantastic. It is prudent to pack food for the trip to
Kavalur Observatory is located in Kavalur in the Javadu in Alangayam,
Vellore District. The observatory is at an altitude of 725 m above
mean sea level and houses one of the largest telescopes in Asia. The
location is unique, since it is the only major astronomical facility
between Australia and South Africa for observing the southern
objects. Observatory is open to public on
Saturdays between 2 PM and 5 PM. They will be shown the operation of
Vainu Bappu Telescope. If clear, night sky will also be shown
through the 15 cm visitor telescope. However, please contact the
local authorities prior to travel.
Golden Temple built in 2007,
a temple and spiritual park in Thirumalaikodi, Vellore, situated in
a 100-acre lush green landscape
about 8 km from the Medical College Campus.
entire exterior of the temple is laid with gold sheets and plates,
reportedly costing INR 300 crores (65 million USD). The temple is
open to the general public from 0800 hours to 2000 hours.